Generally speaking, Pregnancy brings in joy in the family circle and the pregnant woman is given utmost care by the family members. Meet Nidhi Dubey from Madhya Pradesh who was 4 months pregnant when her husband an army officer died and she was thrown out of the house by her in-laws without any humanity. Nidhi was only 21 years old when this incident happened in the year 2009. But this woman took life as it was imposed on her and without cribbing about ill fate went on to become army officer!
Here is the path trod by Nidhi Dubey to reach her goal of becoming army officer:
- Nidhi’s husband Mukhesh Dubey was a Naik in Mahar regiment when he met with sudden death by cardiac arrest. Her in-laws instead of looking after the widow who was 4-month pregnant sent her out of the home.
- Nidhi initially went to depression at her mother’s place and had battled several months with depression. But it was the birth of her son Sagar that changed the way Nidhi took life. Having understood the fact that she should give a better life for her son. She took the courage to fight and prove that she is not timid to face the challenges posed by life.
- The newly found zeal to take up challenges of life made Nidhi move to Indore and pursue Higher studies. She took up MBA studies and on successful completion got a job in a reputed company.
- She worked in the private firm for a year. Some of her husband’s colleagues learned about Nidhi’s pursuit for better life. They advised her to take up Services Selection Board (SSB) exams.
- The policy of army to relax the age limit for widows of army officers beyond regular age limit of 20-25 gave Nidhi an opportunity to give a shot at making a career as an army officer.
- Nidhi enrolled for SSB exams and underwent rigorous physical training which included running for 5kms each day and waking up at 4 am in the morning.
- During daytime, she was given an opportunity to teach students at army school where her son was studying and in evenings she would prepare for service exams.
- Nidhi’s hard work paid dividends as she could clear the SSB exams and was posted to Chennai for training. During this period Nidhi got only two chances to meet her young son. But she knew the sacrifice she has accepted is for the promising future of her son.
- At age of 32 Nidhi has successfully become lieutenant at the Indian Army carrying forward the legacy of her husband. Nidhi Dubey along with another widow of an army officer Swati Mahadik was recruited into India Army in September 2017, which was undoubtedly a proud moment for all Indians.